Thursday, September 07, 2006

Gandhi - A divine man or a devil?


After watching Lage raho munnabhai, I was very excited. And as I have a great respect for Gandhi, It was a delight for me to watch a movie superbly made using Gandhi's ideology in today's sense.

Ok, but today in my office, I had a real discussion about Gandhi and his ideology and that person was arguing that because of Gandhi freedom was delayed for atleast 10-15 years and the only good thing that Gandhi did for the country, was partition !!!!.

Ok and then I visited some community on orkut and there again I find people bashing Gandhi and his ideology. So this again makes me disheartened.

I have found after discussing Gandhi and his ideology with many people that nowadays it has become a fashion in indian youth specially, to blame Gandhi and his ideology. May be this is the "In -thing" for them.

I really want to know what common Indian really think about Gandhi.

  • Was Gandhi to be blamed (or given credit as one of my friend was giving!!) for partition?
  • Was because of Gandhi our independence got delayed?
  • Is Gandhi responsible for Subhash chandra Bose not getting his dues, as a freedom fighter for India (That's what many Bengalis believe, no offense here to Bengali people but this is what I have seen )?
  • Was Gandhi to be blamed for not requesting english government to not to give death sentence to Bhagat singh and company?

I have greatest regards for Gandhi and his ideology. I will really like to put some of his ideology in the practice in my real life, I don't know how much I will succeed in that but surely want to try.

1 comment:

Chigs said...

I too luv Gandhigiri... and will practice the same.

Its always easy to bash a guy or his ideology on a hindsight... i think we shouldnt be so judgemental because we would not know the scenario when a certain thing happened at that time !! We can only assume and say "if" !!

Hey this post is well written and thought provoking :)